On Monday 23rd March 2020, the UK Government announced that self-isolation measures are to be increased in order to try and control the spread of Covid-19.
The address specified that people MUST stay at home, except for –
- Shopping for necessary food and medical supplies
- Medical need (such as non-routine or emergency medical treatment)
- Travelling to and from work (ONLY for key workers)
To enforce the lockdown, measures have been put in place such as:
- Gatherings of more than two people in public are banned – this includes all social events, parties, celebrations, christenings and weddings.
- Communal exercise areas such as outdoor gyms and playgrounds in parks will be closed indefinitely (parks will remain open
- Closure of non-essential shops
- Travel on roads, trains and buses banned – unless essential to get to work
- Churches and mosques ordered to close – with the exception of hosting funerals
Only permissible reasons to leave home:
- Travel to work (only if absolutely necessary)
- Shopping for food and other necessities (infrequently as possible – maintaining social distancing)
- One form of exercise per day, either alone or with members of your own household
- Providing care to a vulnerable person or going to a medical appointment
Banning of Public Gatherings
The Government is stopping public gatherings of more than two people. This is to curb the spread of the virus and protect public health, individuals and NHS resources.
- The gathering is a group of people who live together (parents & children)
- Where the gathering is essential for work purposes – with meetings and other gatherings in the workplace minimised
The Government will be ensuring that the police and other relevant authorities have adequate powers to enforce these new rules, through dispersing gatherings and issuing fines for non-compliance.
This is expected to last for 3 weeks from 23rd March 2020 but will be subject to ongoing reviews by the Government.
The UK Government has produced a guide on ‘Staying at home and away from others’. This is available at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others